Skin-care goals that are bucket-list-worthy are keeping your skin flexible and firm. The proteins Elastin and Collagen play a vital role in helping you meet those goals. If you’ve ever wondered what they are and how they are different, read on.
- Elastin keeps your skin younger by helping it maintain its flexibility and elasticity – in turn, countering the effects of gravity on your skin. There is less elastin in your body than collagen, but they work together to keep your skin looking young.
- Collagen is an abundant protein found in your skin, nails, hair, muscles, tendons, and other parts of your body. It is a critical component of your body’s connective tissue. Collagen helps your skin stay smooth and firm. It also aids in the formation of new skin cells and keeps harmful toxins at bay.
With time, your body has less of these critical proteins, and, as a result, your skin becomes thinner – with a saggy, loose look. It is also more easily damaged and is more susceptible to the pull of gravity. Fine lines and wrinkles appear, and along with them, jowls or a double chin.
It’s next to impossible to prevent the effects of Father Time, but there are some things you can do to protect the elastin and collagen in your body and keep your skin looking young for as long as possible:
- Eat A Balanced Diet and limit sugar and soft drinks
- Stop Smoking – smoking is responsible for many of the lines and wrinkles that form around the mouth
- Avoid UV and UVB Sun Damage by always wearing sunscreen
- Replenish Collagen – We offer a number of cosmetic treatments that can counter the effects of aging. Some of our most popular dermal fillers, such as JUVÉDERM VOLUMA, use substances to restore lost volume to your face and smooth your skin. Others, such as Radiesse®, stimulate your body’s production of collagen, for natural, and long-lasting results.
The snows are slowly ebbing…spring is on the way…call to book an appointment, today, to learn more about the many anti-aging, cosmetic procedures we offer at Ageless Med Spa: (801) 277-7000.