You’ve heard of Botox®…you may have even tried it, but how much do you know about it? Below are six facts about Botox®, the most popular of the aesthetic cosmetic procedures:
- The FDA approved Botox® for eye spasms in 1989, and approved it for wrinkles, creases and frown lines in 2002.
- Botox® is made from botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxic protein produced by bacteria…the same bacteria that causes the disease botulism.
- Years ago, scientists found that injecting minute amounts of botulinum toxin type A into a muscle temporarily paralyzed that muscle. Why is this important for your face? Because muscles are the cause of wrinkles around the forehead and eyes. Wrinkles form because you make repeated muscle contractions when you laugh, frown and squint. When injected into the muscle, Botox® blocks nerve signals to that muscle, stopping its contraction. Without the contraction, the wrinkle above the muscle either disappears or dramatically lessens.
- The results of a Botox® procedure are not immediate. Botox® takes about a week to fully relax the targeted muscle. The full results last from four to six months, but many people have found that results last longer. The degree of improvement depends on how deep the creases are when you begin treatment…but everyone will see some improvement.
- The frown area between the eyes is the most common area to be treated and usually requires five small pokes with a fine needle.
- Botox® does wear off, but most of our patients love it and return for repeat injections. If you do happen to experience a very rare side effect, the Botox® will wear off and everything will return to normal.
So, why should you get a Botox® procedure?
• To relax your facial muscles: Botox® eases that “angry” look.
• For a “lift”: Depending on which way the muscles pull, Botox® can give a lift to your eyes and the corners of your mouth, helping you look more rested.
• As a preventive measure: Botox® slows down the creation of lines and creases.
The Holidays are here…call to schedule an appointment…and let’s discuss the benefits and wonders of Botox® cosmetic: (801) 277-7000.